Aspiring Bakers is coming to an end.How sad!I seldom get involved as i am too busy to update my blog/i totally forgot about it. Posted my rainbow lapis beras yesterday on fb and the host,Cynthia for the final Aspiring Bakers was asking if i wanted to join. So here i am blogging about this yummy and easy recipe i have been using.
- 6" square tin
You will need:
6 pieces pandan leaves,tied into a knot
50g rice flour
180g tapioca flour
480g coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla oil (i used canola oil)
The Preparation & The Cooking:
- Put dry ingredients in B in a mixing bowl and mix well. Slowly add coconut milk and oil, stirring at the same time to mix well,set aside.
- Put ingredients in A in a saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Pour 200ml of the hot sugar syrup into (1) and stir well to mix into a thin batter.
- Start boiling water in a steamer and place the prepared tin inside the steamer to heat up (remember to grease lightly with cooking oil.)
- Measure out into 9 equal portions. Colour 2 portions with blue,green,orange,red.(i left 1 portion plain.)
- When the water reaches boiling point, turn down to moderately low.
- Pour the uncoloured batter into the hot pan and steam for 5 minutes, or until set. Repeat with blue,green,orange and red. Repeat the whole process until the last layer,steam for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and wait 5 minutes before removing lid of the steamer.(This is to let water droplets have time to slide off along down the inside of the lid and prevent water droplets falling onto the kuih when lid is removed.)
- Remove tin from steamer and let cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Cut into desired size and serve.
- If you want a really smooth top,u can use the base as the top.Just pour the batter in the other sequence.
- I steam each layer for about 3 minutes and i am using an electric steamer.Use a toothpick to test if the layer is cooked before pouring another layer.Timing varies.
*I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #40: Rainbow and Ombre Party! (March 2014) hosted by Cynthia of The Baking Biatch.
Original recipe from:Nine Layers Kueh by Pamela Loh.
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~