This reminded me of the birthday cakes i had in my childhood days;the chocolatey taste the soft fluffy texture.I have been using this sponge recipe for sometime but have yet uploaded until yesterday a handful of members asked me for it(cannot be lazy and disappoint them.Ha~).
This recipe is really easy as its using optimal flour or you can call it sponge mix flour.Well you can say its not from scratch but i am not really bothered by the fact as i am more concerned in getting the taste and texture i want. I don't want to waste ingredients on cakes that give me eggy taste/dry texture which is common with sponge cakes.And most importantly,this cake don't dry out.
- 8 slices (2 layers)
You will need:
188g optima flour
1.5 tablespoon cocoa powder
3/4 tablespoon chocolate paste (i mixed cocoa powder with hot water)
45g cold water
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Whipping cream/Frosty whip for cream
*Chocolate rice for topping
The Preparation & Baking:
- Whisk all ingredients except oil and extract till thick.
- Add oil and extract and whisk till well combined.
- Bake in a lined swiss roll tin(abt 30cm by 22cm) for about 20 minutes at 180°C
- Remove from parchment paper immediately
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut all ends(discard into your mouth,ha~) and then cut the cake into half.
- Spread cream on the top side of both cake.
- Place one on the other.
- Sprinkle chocolate rice.
- Slice according to the desired size you want.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Original recipe from:Chocolate Sponge Cake by Anncoo Journal
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~