Pineapple shortcakes aka 凤梨酥 seems to be a must buy when one visits Taiwan.I wanted to make them during chinese new year but did not have enough paste(i din wan to purposely buy another box-1kg!). My gal's teacher was asking if i could make golden pineapple balls for her new year(Deepavali) and i was thinking since i will have extra paste,i decided to try making them. ;)
As usual i searched for nice pictures of them then I came across a recipe at Rasa Malaysia.The author of the recipe has actually trial and error many recipes before coming up with it. So i gathered all the ingredients and ta-dah!
I had modified the recipe a little(just a wee little bit) and i am really pleased with the results.Do give it a try and let me know what you think. Btw,i got my square moulds from Tott. ;)
|Square moulds from Tott|
- 12 pieces
You will need:
- 113g unsalted butter
- 1/4 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 30g egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 188g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 240g pineapple paste
- Sift flour,milk powder and corn flour,set aside.
- Cream butter,shortening and icing sugar till pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla essence,mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients till dough formed.
- Cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Wrap filling(20g) with dough(26g).
- Place moulds onto a line baking tray.
- Press dough into it.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 15 minutes.
- Flip over and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
Original recipe from:Pineapple Shortcake by Rasa Malaysia
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~