Ordered 100g of vanilla pods from Candy and had yet touched them till today.Ha! Decided to try making some vanilla extract and later vanilla sugar out of them. I am making a very small portion to try out.Made one for my baking lover,Genie as well.Good things must share.Haha!
I got the recipe from here. I like recipes by Nigella Lawson and i trust that this will work out really good because it was provided by her team. ;)
I will update in two months time on the results. And also i will be making vanilla sugar as well once i get bigger bottles from Tott. So stay tuned!
- about 40ml extract
You will need:
- 42ml of rum (u can use volka as well)
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1 small glass bottle
- Wash the bottle and sterilised it.(place in oven at 120°C for 10 minutes.)
- Cut the pod into half.
- Split the halved pod across lengthwise,leaving the end uncut.
- Place it into the bottle.*Bend it a little so it will get fully soaked later.
- Add rum.
- Store the bottle in a dark dry and cool place.
- Occassionally,bring it out to give it a little shake.
- Ready to be use in 2 months time.
Original Recipe from:Homemade Vanilla Extract by Nigella Team.
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~