This is the 3rd recipe i tried.Previous two,one was a bit dry,the other has a strong oil taste which i din really like.I am sticking to this recipe by Christine for this year traditional mooncake since i got feedback from my family that they loved it and are asking for more.Ha!I had tweaked the recipe a little by replacing the type of flour,the eggwash and baking method.
Edited:I tried using plain flour as per original recipe and it's better in texture as in less crumbly ;)
- 6 pieces mini mooncake dough
You will need:
- 50g superlite/hk flour
- 30g golden syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon lye water
- 14g vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
The Preparation and The Baking:
- In large bowl, mix the golden syrup, alkaline water and oil well with a hand whisk.
- Sift in the flour and use a spatula to combine all ingredients.
- Knead into a dough and cover with cling wrap and rest for 40 minutes.
- Wrap and mould.*for more details,refer to Christine's blog.
- Spray a mist of water on the mooncakes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 for 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
- Brush egg wash.(i brush only the top.)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 for another 10 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Serve after about 2-3 days.
- *The pastry will become soft and shiny in 2-3 days.
- The proportion of filling and skin depends on your personal preference.
- Different oven will require different cooking time.
Original recipe from:Traditional Mooncakes by Christine
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~