I tried out about 3 recipes(including this) before i decided to keep this.As you all know snowskin mooncakes tends to dry out very fast,some a day,some two days.If you are using premix,it last longer but the texture is like mochi which i don't really like personally.Not that i don't like mochi,just that i don't like mochi-like mooncakes.My personal preference ;) And this is less tedious to prepare than premix(you need to boil the liquid,etc,etc.),i am a lazy woman!Ha!
Anyway,this recipe's snowskin can stay soft arnd 3-5 days depending on how you store them.And it yields a not too over Q and soft texture.Just nice for me.P/S:I had tweaked a bit on the liquid and sugar part.
- About 6 pieces of 18g skin
You will need:
- 32g Kou Fen
- 30g Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Shortening
- 45g Cold Water
- Some Kou Fen for dusting
*For flavored skin
Add 1/2 teaspoon of essence to cold water.
- Sift kou fen and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Rub shortening into 1.
- Add cold water and mix well.
- Knead into a smooth dough.
- Fill and mould.
- Store in fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Use disposable plastic gloves for hygiene purposes and to ease kneading(won't stick onto hands.)
- Place dough between plastic sheets and roll.
- Adjust sugar or essence according to personal taste/preference.(do not add too much essence though as may result in bitter taste.)
- Proportion of filling and skin is up to individual preference and also the mould you use.For my 40g mould,I use 18:15.
Original recipe from:Snowskin mooncakes by Blessed Homemaker
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~