I love egg tarts,not the ones with flaky crust though.Tried out this recipe i found online by Aunty Yochana.I amended the preparation method and some of the ingredients.The taste was good but i find the crust too thick and my baking time is longer than the recipe.(i took 30 mins.)I suggest looking at the video at Tips before you start.
- 12 tarts
You will need:
125g cold butter
60g icing sugar
230g plain flour
1/2 egg white
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
(B)Custard (I will half recipe as i used only half of these for the crust.)280g milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Rub the butter with the flour till resemble bread crumbs.
Add egg white,egg yolk and vanilla essence.
Make into a pliable dough.
Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Heat milk and melt sugar in it.
Whisk the eggs and vanilla essence.(not till frothy.)
Remove the milk from heat.
Stir eggs into milk and mix well.
Sieve the mixture into a measuring cup.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut into equal portion.
- Press the dough into the moulds.(No need to grease.)
The Baking:(I will pour the custard into the crust and bake together the next time as shown in the video below.)
- Bake the pastry for 10 minutes at 170°C.
- Remove and pour custard in.(80% filled.)
- Bake for another 10 minutes or till custard puffs up.(i used 20 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and leave on cooling rack.
- Unmould with care when slightly cooled.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- To know if the custard is cooked,shift the pan a little,if the custard is wobbly,it is not done yet.
- You can also insert a toothpick into the custard.If it can stand on its own,it is done.
- I looked up for videos on egg tarts and found the below.I am going to use the same method in baking next time!
Original recipe from:Egg Tarts by Aunty Yochana
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~