Different types of cakes are suitable for different types of fillings and topping. For example,pound cakes(butter cakes,banana cakes,fruit mix cake,marble cake,etc.) are best eaten without filling or cream as they are already "heavy" themselves.If you wish to use fillings or cream,i would recommend this:Butter Cake with Buttercream.For sponge cakes,i will normally fill them with different kinds of fruits and top them with whipping cream.Do scroll down to find out how i assemble my sponge cakes.My suggestion for best combination:Match "heavy" cakes with "heavy" cream and "light" cakes with "light" cream.
Alternatively,you can also use this:Optima Flour,which is much easier and simple.Just follow the instructions on the packet and add your desired flavouring.
Basic Sponge Cake
- A 8" Round Cake (depending on how deep your baking tin is.)
You will need:
- 150g plain flour
- 150g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 40g butter (melted)
*for chocolate sponge replace 25g of plain flour with 25g-30g of cocoa powder.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder if any.
- Whisk eggs and sugar till thick and white.(Leaves a ribbon trail.)
- Fold in flour gently.
- Fold in melted butter and vanilla essence.
- Pour into a greased or lined baking tin.
- Baked in a preheated oven at 170°C for about 20 minutes or till cake is cooked.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes before removing from tin.
- Cool on rack.
- The folding step is very important.Fold from the outer ring of the batter and do not deflate the batter.
- Melted butter is to ensure your cake turn out soft and moist.So do not skip this ingredient.
- To know if your cake is cooked thoroughly or not,insert a skewer or satay stick onto the centre.If it comes out clean,it is done.
- Personally i prefer to line my tin with baking paper than grease it as it is easier to remove the cake when done.
- Do not remove immediately from tin as the cake might break.
- Do not slice cake when it is hot.*The cake is very fragile when it is hot.
- Different mixers and ovens will differ in mixing and cooking time.
Assembly of Sponge Cake
You will need:
Whipping cream (amount depending on how much you need,for the above recipe,you will need at least 400ml.)
Icing sugar to taste.
Whipped cream stabiliser.(1.5 teaspoon gelatine,6 teaspoons cold water)
1/2 teaspoon flavouring (optional)
Food colouring (optional)
(B)Sugar syrup for brushing sponge
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon sugar
- Boil water and sugar till sugar dissolves.Set aside to cool.
Whipped cream stabiliser
- Sprinkle gelatine on the cold water and soak for 5 minutes.
- Heat in saucepan till gelatine dissolves.
- Place mixing bowl in a ice bath.(mixing bowl in a bowl of ice water.)
- Whisk the whipping cream till till slightly thick,add in whipped cream stabiliser and flavouring,if any.
- Continue to whisk till thick and smooth.
- Add colouring if any.
- Transfer to bowl and/or piping bags.
- Slice the cake into the number of layers you prefer.
- Brush the cake with the sugar syrup.
- Pipe the outer ring with some whipping cream.(i like to do this so that my fillings will not ooze out.)
- Add the filling and top with cream.(can vice verse as well,doesn't really matter.)
- Add another layer,if any.
- Repeat the steps.
- Cover the whole cake with whipped cream.
- Decorate as desired.
- Gelatine will harden when it cools,so make the stabiliser only when you are ready to whip the cream.
- Sugar syrup is to make the cake moist as the air in fridge will dry the cake.
- Whipped cream melts very fast,so keep them in fridge till you are ready to serve.
- For more info,click here.
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~