Please note:

I may not be the originator of most recipes but time and effort is spent on experimenting/testing out recipes,editing photos,creating entries.

Please include the link of my blog entry/ies if you wish to share at other places.Please do not just copy and paste and pass it as yours.

Respect when sharing.

Thank you!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Assorted Breads (The Basic Dough)



The very first time I made bread was.....I can't remember.Ha! But I guess should be ages ago.Anyway,I chanced upon a recipe at rasamalaysia recently and decided to try it.I hand kneaded it and I can tell you,it's hard work,my arms and wrists must be crying for help.The result was so-so,I felt that the taste was not what I like,a bit bland though texture was okay.So I continue to search for a better recipe.
This recipe uses a method called TangZhong Method where you have to cook flour with water and then add into the rest of the ingredients.It is supposed to make the bread softer and last longer.I tried it out and made some changes as I go along and tadah! I think I got my perfect or at least almost perfect recipe at the 6th time.

Please note that I knead them with my trusty mixer(yes!!Says my arms and wrists.)

Makes:
  • About 20 mini buns(each weight around 30g)

You will need:
  • 350g bread flour
  • 70g sugar
  • 10g milk powder
  • 6g instant dry yeast
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 100ml milk(see Tips:)
  • 120g tangzhong,cooled or lukewarm
  • 30g of unsealed butter,softened
  • Fillings(eg:sausages,kaya,red bean paste,ham,cheese etc.
  • Some milk for glazing.

The Preparation:
  1. Prepare tangzhong.
  2. Mix all ingredients except milk and butter at low speed for 2 minutes or till well mixed.
  3. Change to higher speed.
  4. Add in milk bit by bit till dough is formed.
  5. Let the mixer knead for another 8 minutes.
  6. Add softened butter and knead for 10 minutes or till dough is not sticky and forms a membrane when stretch.


  7. Place dough in a greased container,cling wrap it and proof for 45 minutes or till it doubles its size.


      8. Remove and divide them into small doughs and let them rest for 15 minutes.
      9. Shape,add fillings,according to your preferences.
      10.Place shaped dough onto lined baking tins,cling wrap and proof for 45 minutes.
      11.Brush the top with milk.

    The Baking:
    1. Bake in a pre heated oven for 15-20 minutes at 160°C.
    2. Remove from baking tin immediately and cool on rack.
    3. Serve with your favourite beverage.

    Tips:
    • Dough may appear sticky at first but just keep kneading till it becomes less sticky.
    • You do not have to add all the milk.Add bit by bit when necessary.Trust me you won't want a dry or sticky dough.
    • Use as little flour as you can during shaping,else the bread will turn out hard.If you have a nice non stick dough,you won't need any more flour during shaping.
    • Place shaped doughs with about 2 inch gap from each other to avoid them sticking together as they bake.
    • If you want a shiny glaze,you can use eggs to brush the top instead.
    • Transfer bread immediately from baking tins to cooling rack to prevent bread bottom getting moist.
    • All timing above is dependent on your mixer and oven model.

    Original recipe from:Assorted Bread Using TZ by Ellena Guan

    ~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~

    No comments:

    Post a Comment