Can you count the number of plates of chicken rice you have eaten so far? I can't! Tell me if you can! Chicken rice stalls seem to be everywhere,in every hawker centers,food courts and even restaurants serve them.
I tried making it last week and it turned out pretty much like what the stalls are selling.Even my not feeling so well aka no appetite toddler kept asking for more.
- 2-3 Pax
You will need:
- 3 pieces of chicken drumstick or 2 chicken breasts
- 1.5 cups of rice
- 3 slices of old ginger (thumbsize)
- 3 cloves garlic (lightly smashed)
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- Ice water enough to cover chicken used.
- Parsley and cucumbers for garnish (optional)
(A) For the broth
-5 slices of old ginger (thumbsize)
-5 cloves garlic (lightly smashed)
-3 stalks of spring onions (tied)
-900 ml water
-Salt to taste
(B) Sauce to drizzle on the meat-1 teaspoon sesame oil
-3-5 tablespoons of broth
1. For the chicken-
- Put ingredients in (A) in a pot and bring to boil.
- Add chicken.
- When the water reboils,lower the heat to minimum and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from broth and put into ice water for 5 minutes.
- Drain chicken and brush with oil.
- Wash and drain rice.
- Add broth(amount indicated in rice cooker),ginger,garlic and rice into rice cooker and cook as per normal.
- When rice is ready,stir the rice and let it simmer in the rice cooker for 5-10 minutes.
4. Serve hot with your favourite sauces.
- Do not discard the broth,it is drinkable.
- Chicken rice chili can be found in most supermarkets if you do not wish to make them yourself.
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~